Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP = FAILURE DETECTION

2006-09-12 10:06:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wietse Venema" <wietse(_at_)porcupine(_dot_)org>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP = FAILURE DETECTION

What was the advantage of SSP with look-alike domains?

To find large unproductive ratholes?  Neither DKIM or SSP claim
to have any direct effect on look-alike domain names, and
there's nothing in our

DKIM_BASE allows a recipient to distinguish mail from the bank from
look-alike mail that pretends to be from the bank.  That information
comes in the form of the signing domain.

SSP has an advantage when we assume that criminals are stupid enough
to keep sending forged mail. It has no advantage with look-alike
attacks. Guess what criminals will do.

hmmmmmmmmm,  unless I didn't follow you right, I fail to see the distinction
or your point.

Scenario #1 - No Phishing in 2822.From,  Phishing in signing domain. NO SSP
defined.