Re: [ietf-dkim] Base issue: multiple linked signatures

2007-01-04 12:58:27
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:23:54 -0000, Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

When we've a reasonable looking alternative, then we can ask the
change/no-change question.

If you simply s/MUST NOT/SHOULD NOT/, then you are saying, in effect:

"When used for the purposes and in the manner envisaged when this standard was written, then signatures have no need to use this tag other than for diagnostic purposes. However, if some other purpose becomes apparent, or some other manner of achieving the needed security is proposed, then we have left open the possibility that this tag may play a part in it".

So SHOULD NOT is the minimal change. But you could as easily omit all MUST/SHOULD/MAY stuff and simply explain that "This tag is not intended to pay any part in the signature verification process when this standard is used for the purposes and in the manner envisaged. But it is not precluded that situations may arise where its use may provide security that could not have been achieved without it".

All of which is somewhat waffly, but it does not commit us to things we might regret. And, in any case, "MUST NOT" is not enforceable, and there is no interoperability problem that it prevents, and hence it is a breech of RFC 2119 to use it.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.