Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dkim-overview-04.txt

2007-03-14 08:16:00

Eliot Lear wrote:
Jot,

The overview isn't keeping DKIM from the world. In fact you guys can sign today, if you don't already (haven't checked).

Eliot, you are, of course, correct.  But that rather misses the point.

The point is what will facilitate adoption. (Why is it that the IETF works so hard to ignore adoption issues, as we think merely publishing a document is the end of the task?)

The Overview document, approximately in its current form (IMO), can be extremely helpful for the rest of the community, to understand DKIM and make deployment and use decisions about it.

> The real question
for me now is simply this: will those people who are writing the overview now commit to updating it after SSP is complete? And I for one want to see SSP complete quickly.

Whether the current document is "updated", or a new document is written, or an overview section in the SSP specification itself is added strikes me as a decision to make at the time we need the additional writing.

I'm certainly happy to commit to putting in the effort to make sure there is text of an overview style for SSP.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking