Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dkim-overview-04.txt

2007-03-14 19:20:24

--On March 14, 2007 8:11:11 AM -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

Eliot, you are, of course, correct.  But that rather misses the
point.

The point is what will facilitate adoption.  (Why is it that the
IETF works so hard to ignore adoption issues, as we think merely
publishing a document is the end of the task?)

The Overview document, approximately in its current form (IMO), can
be extremely helpful for the rest of the community, to understand
DKIM and make deployment and use decisions about it.

I'm not saying that having some sort of overview document is a good thing for assisting with adoption. I am saying that it doesn't need to be an RFC. It can be just a draft, or (horrors) a non-IETF document.

I *am* saying that taking the time and effort to get WG consensus, go through Last Call, IESG Approval, and the RFC Editor queue is just overhead for now. Wait until we have the whole thing before we go through the expense of formalizing it.

eric