Re: [ietf-dkim] brand protection, was Is anyone using ADSP?

2009-10-16 07:32:49

--On 14 October 2009 15:39:12 -0400 hector
<gmail(_dot_)sant9442(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Doug Otis wrote:

On 10/14/09 10:51 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

All of which begs the basic question of why this thread is being
pursued?  The questions and answers aren't new.

Good question.

While email reputation has managed to retain a semblance of email
functionality, this often results in more than 90% of the email stream
being refused.  These refusals are often based upon the reputation of
the IP address used by SMTP clients.

DKIM offers an opportunity to leverage names as a mechanism for
acceptance and to authorize third-party domains that might act on behalf
of the Author Domain without formal arrangements.  The authorization
could be done in a safe and economical manner to allow Author Domains a
means to benefit from the other domains reputation and services, and to
better ensure messages are accepted.

+1.

+2

However, I think the answer is Dave is seeking is evidence of problems
which in his mind because RFC 5617 is only a standard by name and not
supported by anyone, there is no problem.   I guess that is only
possible if indeed RFC 5617 will never be used by anyone.

It may never be. But, it's relatively new, so it doesn't surprise me that
it's not in use. However, It's also not surprising that people who may use
the RFCs wish to understand the implications, and explore the problems
before implementing.

==

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex