Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

2009-10-23 20:39:17
Dave CROCKER wrote:

Jim Fenton wrote:
It's fairly easy to demonstrate interoperability of protocols, but
usefulness is much more difficult.  DKIM is an infrastructure protocol,
designed to provide a basis for other mechanisms, such as domain-based
reputation, to operate.  Those other mechanisms are as yet nascent; how
does one judge usefulness at this point?

Jim,

This appears to be imposing criteria that go considerably beyond the
IETF's requirements for Draft.

From the standpoing of IESG process, how is this legitimate?

Good question.  I wasn't proposing that we judge usefulness at all; I
was responding to suggestions from others that measuring usefulness be
included in the charter.

-Jim