Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

2009-10-26 14:27:18
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:01 AM
To: IETF DKIM WG
Subject: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

Pasted below is my proposal for an updated DKIM WG charter.  Stephen
has reviewed it and agrees, and now it's the working group's turn.

I like it; comments below.

  The previously chartered deliverables for the DKIM working group
  have been completed:

  * An informational RFC providing an overview of DKIM and how it
    can fit into overall messaging systems, how it relates to other
    IETF message signature technologies, implementation and
    migration considerations, and outlining potential DKIM
    applications and future extensions. (RFC 5585 and
    draft-ietf-dkim-deployment, in its final stages)

Although I'm not going to oppose it without, I believe there's room for
improvement here.  I don't have specific text yet, but I'd be happy to
collaborate to come up with some.  Specifically, it's clear to me, from WG
conversations and hallway track at MAAWG and elsewhere, that more guidance is
needed in terms of how DKIM results get interpreted in certain contexts such as
mailing lists and other third-party signing.  Even if the output of that
process is "DKIM doesn't tell you anything here", this needs to be more
explicit.

If we don't want to change this document so late in its evolution, that's fine;
I'd be happy if it came out as a BCP document later, either from the IETF or
through a body like MAAWG.

I'd invite the people that have been involved in those conversations to state
specifically what areas draft-ietf-dkim-deployment could cover to close these
gaps.

  * Advance the base DKIM protocol (RFC 4871) to Draft Standard.

I support this as a goal.  I believe DKIM itself is ready to advance as-is,
plus or minus the pending errata.  I also completely agree that ADSP is far
from ready for such advancement.