Re: [ietf-dkim] Wrong Discussion - was Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-30 12:36:23

On 4/30/2010 9:44 AM, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
I seem to remember this discussion in the distant past and there overall
people seemed to have less difficulty with the use of the term "spoof"
or "spoofing" instead of "forge" or forging". If not this term then it
would be appropriate to come to a consensus on a term that represents
this practice.

I applaud the effort in looking for a better term.

Spoof probably isn't it, however:

    1.  a mocking imitation of someone or something, usually light and
good-humored; lampoon or parody: The show was a spoof of college life.

    2.  a hoax; prank.

    <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spoof>

If I had a strong choice to offer, I'd make it.

Perhaps the place to start is to ask that we try to agree on a basic semantics
statement that doesn't use the term, but could be taken as its definition.

That is, what meaning are people trying to convey about this use or aspect of
the From: field.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker