Re: [ietf-dkim] Wrong Discussion - was Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-30 09:42:19

--On 30 April 2010 06:00:50 -0700 Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 4/30/2010 3:16 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
 >>> 2) One possible recommendation to list managers is that if a message
 >>> the list is DKIM signed AND has an ADSP discardable policy AND the
 >>> signature cannot be maintained intact then the list should bounce the
 >>> message.
 >>
 >> What is the particular benefit of doing this, rather than letting the
 >> receiving  site do the bouncing?  This is extra mechanism for the MLM,
 >> and most MLMs won't  be supporting it.  I'm trying to get a clear
sense
 >> of the value proposition for  this.
 >
 > The receiving site would bounce to the list.

As John has reminded us, this is not about a bounce message.  Rather, it
concerns an independent report, sent to an independently-registered
address.

I was responding to the question quoted. I guess it's tangential to the
original question that started the thread.

Certainly *my* MTA/MLM setup (Exim/Mailman) can be configured to do this.
In fact, Exim could be configured to do this with any MLM behind it.

What are the procedures for having this configuration cause FBL reports
go to an address that is different from the one registered in the FBL?

d/

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex