Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-05-26 13:35:23

On May 26, 2010, at 11:04 AM, Jeff Macdonald wrote:

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Steve Atkins
<steve(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com> wrote:

On May 26, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:

On May 26, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

On 05/26/2010 09:58 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
On May 26, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Brett McDowell wrote:

I respectfully disagree with you.

We *were* a special case.  Soon we will not be a special case because
ADSP will enable all mailbox providers, if they choose, to do for others
what they have historically done for us.  That's the big win that only
ADSP could ever enable.

Apparently such an announcement is going to come as a surprise to many
of you on this list, but it shouldn't.  It's the logical conclusion of
the ADSP work.

I'm big on concrete examples. So how does your logical conclusion deal
with these two situations?

  $ host -t txt _adsp._domainkey.paypaI.me
  _adsp._domainkey.paypaI.me descriptive text "dkim=discardable"

  $ host -t txt _adsp._domainkey.paypal.com
  _adsp._domainkey.paypal.com descriptive text "dkim=discardable"

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? John is wrong: ADSP allows
them to
get rid of the "special case" handling by Y! and G. This is hardly
controversial.

Could you expand on why you think that?

Michael claims off-list that he has no idea what I'm speaking of.

I said "huh?" too.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm working with the mental model
that the underlying problem ADSP advocates would like to address
is phishing or brand protection, as they're the only concrete problems
I've seen mentioned.

If there's something else it's intended to address I'm all ears.

So, to be more specific, I'm implicitly asking two things.

   1. Should those domains be treated differently by the recipient ISP?

perhaps the question is "are those two different entities?" I'd say as
far as the recipient ISP can tell, yes.

No, that's a very different question. A good one, but one that's
easier to answer.

Should mail from the two domains be treated differently? Delivered
or not delivered to the user, displayed differently to the user? That's
the only thing that has any effect on the issue of phishing in general.

   2. How does ADSP help them make that decision?

It doesn't,  nor do I think it claims to.

I agree, but that leads to the question as to what operationally
useful decision it can help with. Paypal claim it'll be a big win of
some sort once they're no longer treated as a special case,
rather just the same as every other domain.

Cheers,
  Steve