Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-vesely-dkim-joint-sigs

2010-09-16 13:12:03
On 16/Sep/10 18:49, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org On Behalf Of Ian Eiloart

I don't think so. The original signature should only sign the
DKIM- required and From headers, and perhaps enough other headers
to reduce utility of replay attacks. Importantly, they should
only sign parts that are likely to be unbroken by the MLM, thus
satisfying ADSP requirements. However, the recipient knows that a
valid signature from the MLM is required, too. Thus, the original
DKIM signature is only valid for messages going through the list
- off list replay isn't possible. On-list replay can be limited
by ALSO including a full DKIM signature, for the list to check
before redistributing.

I'm worried about that third sentence.  If people are encouraged
not to sign Subject:, for example, which is a popular display
header field, one could spamify that field and re-send the
message.

Yes, suppose I usually sign everything, except when the only recipient
is ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org: in this case I only sign From: and Date:.
One cannot replay a modified version of the message, because of the
2nd party joint signature.  Thus one has to remove mipassoc.org's
signature, and then she can compose any message, constrained only by
the original From: and Date:.  A third signed field,

   DKIM-Required: mipassoc.org

is meant to avoid exactly that.

If you subscribe to the idea that a DKIM signature reflects a
domain taking some responsibility for a message, I'd have a hard
time not signing Subject: (or From:) for any reason.

Why?  DKIM seeks to forbid modifications in order to avoid replaying.