Re: [ietf-dkim] detecting header mutations after signing

2010-10-14 09:54:39
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:27:29 +0100, Jeff Macdonald
<macfisherman(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

If we can extract DKIM from the equation entirely and the problem
remains, how is it a DKIM problem?

I agree with this.

And even if there was a DKIM signature, it is the BAD GUY'S signature,
which should cause it to go into the SPAM folder, with a large
phishing warning.

No, the Bad Guy has used a throwaway domain which has not yet made its way
into any blacklist the SPAM checker might have been using.

<rant>
Count me as one of those who was confused early on about what DKIM
provides. DKIM seems to make assurances to message integrity. But it
doesn't. I think the reason why many think it does is because of the
body hash. It is trying to do to much. It should just provide an
identifier that can be verified. Instead of using the body for
hashing, use the Message-ID header along with the Date header and just
hash that. That way most folks would understand DKIM is just providing
an Identifier.
</rant>

I have much sympathy with this rant; I think the body could have been
handled much better. But it ain't going to change, and Barry has now
declared it OT.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.