Re: [ietf-dkim] l= statistics was 23 again (sorry John) was Output

2011-05-09 09:46:01

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Barry Leiba
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2011 10:00 AM
To: Hector Santos
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] l= statistics was 23 again (sorry John) was
Output

We are spending an awful amount of time on this l= issue, whether it
should
be pulled, keep it and explaining how bad it is and discourage
usage.

Agreed.  I would like to deprecate it.  But we don't have consensus
for going that far, and I think we're too late in the process to get
ourselves mired in that.  What we're doing now is just short of
deprecating it -- saying that, well, you really shouldn't oughta use
it, without being normative.

The 6% using "l=" needlessly is a red flag.

Yep.  Happily, we (where "we", here, mostly means Murray, but some
others as well) are collecting stats.

It's possible, later, for someone to create an individual submission
for "DKIM l= Considered Harmful", or some such, and perhaps if/when
someone ever moves DKIM to full Standard we can actually deprecate l=.

Barry, as participant

Barry,

I'd like to request that we specifically test for consensus on
deprecating "l=" through the usual +1/-1 approach. No miring, just a
vote.

If we have consensus, great. If we don't have consensus then let's move
on. My concern is that if this is not addressed now it will not be
addressed in the future. My personal belief is that it should be
deprecated at this time.

Mike