Re: [ietf-dkim] l= statistics was 23 again (sorry John) was Output

2011-05-06 16:47:18
On 5/6/11 8:43 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
I suspect it's use of "l=" by a signer without regard to whether or not
the mail is heading to an MLM.  For example, OpenDKIM's antecedent had
that as an option; only the evolution to OpenDKIM allowed you to be more
specific.
Except that doesn't explain why l= doesn't cover the entire body.

Signing or verifying bug?  Clever spammer replaying signed mail and
getting away with it?  Forwarders of some sort that add a footer but
otherwise don't look like mailing lists?

or just "authoring MLM's" (see par. 4.2 of
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-08.txt) which
probably use software that incorporates some (minimalistic) type of MLM
which adds one of the headers, listed by Murray.

I notice I regularly get mail from marketing departments of my car
dealer, smart phone provider, from Adobe, etc. that carry a
'List-Unsubscribe' header and some of them carry a Precedence header. I
wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of this type of messages is
greater than the percentage of the 'classic' re-sending MLM type of
messages.

Back to the topic of this thread: I don't think we can draw any
conclusions from these statistics in relation to the description of l=
in rfc4871bis. The current description in rfc4871bis works for me.

/rolf