RE: mailing list software, was What does the mailsig mechanismmean?

2004-11-03 10:39:32

Dave Crocker writes:
 Speaking of deployability, can you please explain how the hopwise
 solution that you are advocating doesn't run afoul of the PRA IPR?
 I don't understand how the responsible party search that you're
 advocating is in any way different than the MARID PRA and that
 known roadblock to deployment.

hopwise?

The mechanism works between the rfc2822 originator and the rfc2821
rcpt-to.
That is not usually called 'hopwise'.  That is usually called
end-to-end.

A mailing list is a hop. It is not a final desitination.

As for its relationship to any claimed IPR, feel free to cite specific
language of specific claims that you think this impacts.  Beyond
trying to respond to such specifics, I would prefer to conduct an
engineering discussion, rather than a legal one.

What wasn't clear about what I wrote? Would what you're
advocating require something that is, or looks greatly like
the patent-pending PRA algorithm? If not, what is that
algorithm? IIM searches From, Sender which is decidedly not
the PRA algorithm.

                   Mike