RE: mailing list software, was What does the mailsig mechanismmean?

2004-11-04 20:11:44

 End-End is from original Sender to Recepient so if I'm a sender
 and my email goes to mail list and then to you, then end-end is
 from me to you.

that sounds very comfortable, but tends to demonstrate the problem
with making a definition that is designed to fit a particular
scenario.

First of all, the mailing list is the listed recipient in the TO
field.

Second of all, there is no real difference between the mailing list
scenario and the hold-for-three-years-and-then-send-to-someone
scenario I described.  So that means that I, who held the thing for 3
years, was not a 'recipient'?

 A mailing list is a hop. It is not a final desitination.

 I agree. To me a "hop" is one email session transmission from my
 server to mail list or from mail list to end recepient, etc.

yes, if a mailing list is architecturally similar to an MTA.

no, if a mailing list is architecturally similar to a user.

take a look at the range of functions appropriate to an mta
(store-and-forward with minor updates to the envelope) versus a
mailing list (anything it damn well pleases).

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking