Re: bounce, mta, & mua (was Re: sieve draft)

1997-11-05 01:51:22
On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Tomas Fasth wrote:

Why shouldn't they?  They have all the envelope information they need.
If a message can't be given to the user but was delivered to the mail store,
the POP client is probably the only program that knows why.

Tim, I understand that, with the exception that Return-Path: might
not be available and you may therefore not be able to conform to the
following quote from RFC 1894 chapter 2 page 7 2nd paragraph:
"
   The DSN MUST be addressed (in both the message header and the
   transport envelope) to the return address from the transport envelope
   which accompanied the original message for which the DSN was
   generated.  (For a message that arrived via SMTP, the envelope return
   address appears in the MAIL FROM command.)
"

821 says MTAs write the MAIL FROM address into the Return-Path header.
While I can imagine an MTA that violated this, it's unlikely that a site
would want filtering and be unwilling to upgrade to a slightly more
compliant MTA.

Anyway, a POP client generating DSN's does not make much sense to me.
The message has already reached it's destination, nothing can be done
to prevent a delivery.

But in what context has it hit its destination?

No, I don't.  Prohibitions against configuring your mailer to do something
dumb are not typically part of protocol documentation.

Hmm. You might not want to prohibit.
But you might want to discourage inappropriate usage.

How?  The only thing I can think of is something that suggests users try
avoiding doing dumb things, and that's rather difficult.

--
                                           Tim Showalter
tjs(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu