Re: does vacation need to define what an address looks like?

2000-08-28 16:27:54
Chris Newman <cnewman(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com> writes:

--On Tuesday, August 22, 2000 19:08 -0700 Tim Showalter
<tjs(_at_)mirapoint(_dot_)com>
wrote:

What about local addresses like "tjs" or "ken"?  Is this going to be a
MAY?

It probably should be.  I will try and come up with wording real soon.

Actually, I'd say MUST NOT (but could live with SHOULD NOT).  Every time
I've seen "local" addresses used anywhere it caused problems down the road.

What happens when the MTA is upgraded to support multiple virtual domains?
What about vanity domains?

Suppose I have the addresses <cnewman(_at_)isp(_dot_)com> and
<*(_at_)cnewman(_dot_)isp(_dot_)com> which
share the same Sieve script?  Does the resolution of a "local" address act
differently depending upon which address the message being filtered was sent
to?

I don't understand what those addresses indicate in either redirect or
vacation.  vacation doesn't currently specify that addresses are
supposed to be wildcards, and that wasn't my intent when I wrote it.

In some implementations, I can unfortunately imagine the local-part
being the only information available.

Suppose we consider "local" to mean domain of "", with the @ left out
since there's no domain.  I don't want vacation to trigger because I was
bcc'ed on a message also to
tjs(_at_)some(_dot_)domain(_dot_)ive(_dot_)never(_dot_)heard(_dot_)of(_dot_)com(_dot_)
  If
I instruct vacation that "tjs" is an alias for me, I want it to trigger
only when the mail is to <tjs>,
i.e., no domain at all.

I don't think virtual domains are a problem; however, vanity domains may
be.

Tim