Re: does vacation need to define what an address looks like?

2000-08-29 12:47:15

Chris Newman wrote:

--On Monday, August 28, 2000 17:52 -0700 Tim Showalter
<tjs(_at_)mirapoint(_dot_)com>
wrote:
I'm not advocating MUST or SHOULD here.  It's got to be optional, and
will clearly be useless for enlightened implementations that always use
FQDNs.  Unfortunately there's an installed base that might find local
addresses useful.

There's an installed base that finds localized 8-bit character sets in
headers useful.  That doesn't mean it interoperates or should be blessed in
any way by a standard.

I agree, but for sake of argument, lets assume that Sieve is being used
with an internal MTA which is setup to handle local addresses (no
domain).  If someone can send intraoffice mail to "ken", then I need to
be able to put "ken" in the ":addresses" option of my vacation rule.
Likewise, I should be able to do a redirect to "tjs" in this
environment.

I wouldn't setup my environment this way, but I think what Tim is saying
is that Sieve might be used in such an environment and should be locally
adaptable.

I don't see where there is an interoperability problem because this
would be a local configuration decision, and the local addresses are
only going to be useful if the corresponding MTA can handle them.
Obviously, these addresses would never see the public network.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127