Re: Please shoot this ridiculous idea down.

2003-12-17 08:48:35

Hi Arnt,

--On Wednesday, December 17, 2003 4:16 PM +0100 Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

| I had a ridiculous idea earlier today. It really needs to be shot down.
| You have to help fix my brain.
|
| Ready? Here it comes:
|
| Managesieve should offer mail delivery notification.
|
| The argument:
|
| Mail delivery notification needs some sort of authentication, and it
| needs knowledge of when which mailboxes receive mail. Sieve has the
| latter. The natural way to get the former is to keep a TCP connection to
| somewhere, perhaps turn on TLS, authenticate, say "tell me about
| deliveries" and just listen. That way, TCP/TLS will make sure that if I
| disappear, noone else gets my news.
|
| So, are two TCP protocols for talking to Sieve software desirable? I say
| that's one too much, which leaves me with the suggestion: Managesieve
| should offer mail delivery nofication. Ridiculous.

Well, in the case of IMAP, messages can be delivered outside of the normal 'delivery loop' - i.e. by an IMAP APPEND or COPY. I would certainly want a mail notification protocol to be able to notify me of IMAP APPENDs and COPYs adding new messages to a mailbox as well as regular delivery. What is needed is notification on the mailstore, not just on the delivery process.

--
Cyrus Daboo