Re: Please shoot this ridiculous idea down.

2003-12-17 12:39:25

ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:
> Another issue is that while sieves are typically applied near the time
> of delivery, this doesn't mean they are applied _at_ the time of
> delivery.

If I define "delivery" as appearance in a user-accessible mailbox,
sieving would seem to _be_ delivery.

Not hardly. Sieve application can and does occur long before or long after
this point.

Certainly, from the point of view of a MUA watching for new mail,
appearance in a user-visible mailbox is the interesting event.

Agreed, but your assumption that sieve is conflated with this event is just
plain wrong. In our implementation, for example, sieve application occurs
before, and in some cases it is separated by hours of time and done on a
different system.

                                Ned