RE: plan for april 5th xmpp conference...

2004-03-27 09:06:18

That's assuming that Users are going to see the originating
IP.  Which I've
pointed out they aren't, nor would they care to.  "Hey
Aruna, your new e-mail
address is
arunah206(_dot_)45(_dot_)235(_dot_)30(_at_)gctc-mst(_dot_)com(_dot_)"  I'd
hate to
see the IPv6
version.

I'm not sure I understand.  My suggestion was that the combination of
2821 MAIL FROM and the originating IP (i.e., the IP of the originating
MX) in combination could be considered an "identity" about which the
receiving MTA could make judgments.  I don't see how that would relate
to altering the contents of the 2822 From: header.  Could you explain?

The IP address is not an identity to be verified in and of itself.  The items
that Marshall listed in his e-mail are, by comparison, identities to be
verified.  The address even changes for many users wheras the user's identity
does not.

Also, the IP address should not be made part of an identity because users
don't see it.  If they were made to see it, we'd have absurdities like
arunah206.45.235.30.

Use the IP address as information to verify identity, but don't use it as an
identity or as part of an identity.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>