Re: plan for april 5th xmpp conference...

2004-03-27 10:17:20

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:06:20AM -0600, Gordon Fecyk wrote:

I'm not sure I understand.  My suggestion was that the combination of
2821 MAIL FROM and the originating IP (i.e., the IP of the originating
MX) in combination could be considered an "identity" about which the
receiving MTA could make judgments.  I don't see how that would relate
to altering the contents of the 2822 From: header.  Could you explain?

The IP address is not an identity to be verified in and of itself.  The items
that Marshall listed in his e-mail are, by comparison, identities to be
verified.  The address even changes for many users wheras the user's identity
does not.

Also, the IP address should not be made part of an identity because users
don't see it.  If they were made to see it, we'd have absurdities like
arunah206.45.235.30.

Use the IP address as information to verify identity, but don't use it as an
identity or as part of an identity.

I'm afraid I still don't understand your point.  Why would the user see
it?  I thought we were discussing "identities" in the context of
"identities to be acted upon by the receiving MTA".  A user would never
see those.  They're just two pieecs of information being evaluated by
the receiving MTA, that I'm arguing would be useful to conceptualize
together as a single identity.  There's no actual alteration of
information, or presentation of that information to the end user, beyond
what's already there.

Am I misunderstanding your use of the term "user"?  I'm taking it to
mean "end-user" and "person sending or receiving email" in your response
Above.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org