RE: IPR Disclosure for Sender-ID

2004-08-03 17:47:50

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Harry Katz wrote:

As you know, Sender ID is the result of a merger of various elements of
SPF and Microsoft's Caller ID for E-mail proposal.  Microsoft has filed
the IPR disclosure for Caller ID, and we will file a disclosure as soon
as we reasonably can - very shortly - for that portion of Sender ID
where Microsoft still has IPR to contribute, namely
draft-ietf-marid-core-02.

Is this my understanding then that previous IPR is no longer valid now as
it applies to new versions of MARID draffts and thus should be considered
to have expired (or will expire along with original drafts)?

Is Microsoft failure to file IPR so far (considering its not really a very
large "paper" to write) has something to do with that Microsoft is not
certain if the remaining portion of the MARID core still falls under your
pending patent?

If it becomes an issue with our schedule and that we need to move forward
(i.e. that draft document has to be sent to RFC editor, this is fast
working WG after all) is Microsoft willing to leave with situation that
failure to file IPR by certain date will constitute de-facto agreement
that resuling MARID work is not covered by any Microsoft patents?

If IPR is filed, there is certain portion of constituency that expressed
opinion that existing terms of Microsoft Caller-ID license are not acceptable
because they conflict with requirements of some open-source licenses and
if this continues to be the case, these people may want to block curent
MARID documents document during last call in order to review them on if we
can provide similar proposal that does not have any IPR claims. So it
would be helpfull to have Microsoft IPR before any last-call dates so
that we at least could have some discussion and it would be helpfull if
Microsoft considers changing license terms to be compatible with all major
open-source licenses.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks