RE: "unified spf"

2004-08-07 02:16:10

I have no plans to submit them as I-Ds.  They have
informational value at best.  I hope they are a
constructive contribution.

Thanks Meng, I found pleny of value in these drafts. They look promising. I
would like to see them put forward to IETF one day.

Regards,

James Pullicino

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Meng Weng
Wong
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 3:47 PM
To: Frank Ellermann
Cc: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: "unified spf"

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:31:59AM +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:

| This _and_ is very important.  Maybe we should mention it in
| SPF/PRA resp. SPF/FROM, these tests make no sense without a
| prior SPF/MAILFROM test.  The important thing is SPF/MAILFROM,
| and at the moment we have no draft for SPF/MAILFROM (= the old
| draft-mengwong-spf-01.txt minus all stuff now covered by MARID
| protocol-00.txt).

Actually, we do.  There is a set of drafts out there that
collectively describe the "unified" model.  They have not
been published to the list for fear of distraction; given
the tight time constraints, it seems prudent to focus on
getting Sender ID off the ground before opening the door to
more theoretical discussion.  But I will mention them
for the record, and because there has been some interest in
the past in defining the term "Unified SPF".

At the WG meeting, some folks suggested we should extract
the PRA algorithm from the core document because it has
general utility in the 2822 space independent of MARID work.

That refactoring represents a step in the direction of the
unified drafts.

The "unified" document describes the overall structure.

The "protocol" document describes the SPF test.

"ptr", "helo", "mailfrom", and "pra" describe the semantics
of the SPF test in the context of each identity.

"best" shows how the four instances interact.

The documents at http://spf.pobox.com/unified/id/ are a
rough draft.  They represent only my take (together with
Mark) on another way to present Sender ID.  I have no plans
to submit them as I-Ds.  They have informational value at
best.  I hope they are a constructive contribution.

---
Mail Scanned