Re: "Yes, I can handle PGP/MIME"

2004-04-22 12:12:00

I disagree with where this is going.

The point of having notations is so that someone can put data into a signature without having to have it be part of the standard -- without having to get a consensus on it.

If we put this in the standard, but define it to be a notation of "rfc3156":{y|n} (or some other syntax) then we've done exactly what David proposed, but improved his proposal by making it bigger and harder to parse.

If the answer to the proposal is "put it in a notation" then to me that is implicitly saying it should not be part of the standard; it should be handled in an ad-hoc manner. That's a fine answer. If the answer to the proposal is that it should be in the standard, than a syntax like David's is the correct way.

I don't hear a consensus for putting this in. If other people want to use notations for an ad-hoc implementation, great.

        Jon