Re: [openpgp] heads-up: re-chartering the OPENPGP WG

2020-10-21 07:36:42
HI,

On Wed, October 21, 2020 8:33 am, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Hiya,

On 21/10/2020 13:01, Derek Atkins wrote:
So... IF I read this right, the plan is to start from RFC4880 and then
re-hash all the discussions we've had in the past decade+ to
re-introduce
changes to it?

Urgh, no:-)

Good to hear.

Or is the plan to start from the current rfc4880bis draft and work from
there to get it across the finish line?

More or less.

There will of course need to be a discussion about WG
adoption of a draft but IIUC the goal will be for that to
basically start from the current bis draft. What I don't
know is whether or not there are parts in the current draft
that a WG would rather not have and how that might affect
people's opinions on adoption. I do believe a WG would want
almost all of the bis text so starting from testing that
(via a WG adoption discussion) seems like a plan to me.
But again, that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

The current wording in the charter leads me to the former and not the
latter process.  Can you please confirm?

Feel free to suggest some words pointing out it's the
latter. (Or I can try later on, if that's better.)

Maybe the simplest way would be to change:

The Working Group will perform the following work:

- Revise RFC4880

to read:

- Revise RFC4880.  The intent is to start from the current rfc4880bis draft.

Cheers,
S.

-derek

Thanks,