RE: [end points comm] OPES System

2003-08-18 16:09:39

At 23:41 18/08/03, Alex Rousskov wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, jfcm wrote:
> At 19:41 18/08/03, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, jfcm wrote:
> > > I name an OPES domain the area of reponsibility of an operator.
> >
> >What's an operator or operator responsibility? When Disney-owned
> >content is created on and made available via Akamai servers, is Disney
> >an operator? Is Akamai? Is Disney+Akamai?
>
> This is where you are confusing the issues by pleasure.
> The responsible operator is the one saying he is responsible.
> Stick to your airline image and do not make too many layer violation.
>
> NO processor should be without domain operator.  And no processor can be
> with two separate domain owner. Otherwise I will/people will _NEVER_
> trust.use an OPES.
>
> This means that every processor MUST be something and that something
> is to be decided by its operator. And as a SYSTEM user I must be
> able to say/decide if I trust or not an operator for who he is or
> for the information he discloses or for the cost of his services.

That's fine, but you need a better definition of a domain and/or
operator. The original "OPES domain is the area of reponsibility of an
operator" does not imply the above explanation.

Also, since you leave domain boundaries for the operator to decide,
you need to explain how conflicts (two operators think they are
responsible for the same domain and instruct their processors to
update the trace accordingly) and misses (no operator claims
responsibility for a domain/processor).

I must go. But I think better anyway to proceed with a general
response and see what you objet as I do not understand your
question. So I suppose there is confusion to clarify.

Let stick to the Airline image. And let take the following analogy
(different of the one I took with Markus, but as good and clearer here).

A   jet        = processor
An airline   = domain - area of responsibility of the ariline operator.
An alliance (or a tour or a travel I organize, etc.) = a system

Are all your questions answered or not?
If not where are you difficulties coming from?
The analogy or  from not addressed conflicts?

jfc