RE: [end points comm] OPES System

2003-08-19 07:43:41

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, jfcm wrote:

At 23:41 18/08/03, Alex Rousskov wrote:

That's fine, but you need a better definition of a domain and/or
operator. The original "OPES domain is the area of reponsibility of
an operator" does not imply the above explanation.

Also, since you leave domain boundaries for the operator to decide,
you need to explain how conflicts (two operators think they are
responsible for the same domain and instruct their processors to
update the trace accordingly) and misses (no operator claims
responsibility for a domain/processor).

I must go. But I think better anyway to proceed with a general
response and see what you objet as I do not understand your
question. So I suppose there is confusion to clarify.

Let stick to the Airline image. And let take the following analogy
(different of the one I took with Markus, but as good and clearer
here).

A   jet        = processor
An airline   = domain - area of responsibility of the ariline operator.
An alliance (or a tour or a travel I organize, etc.) = a system

Are all your questions answered or not?
If not where are you difficulties coming from?
The analogy or  from not addressed conflicts?

I can use the airline analogy to illustrate what is missing in your
definitions, though it may not be a perfect example:

Lack of responsibility:

        Your tour group arrives at the destination
        with their bags lost. They call you (the
        "system" contact point) to complain. You tell
        them that the bags are not your responsibility
        and they should check with the last jet airline.
        They go to the last airline, Northwest Airlines.
        Northwest tells them that the last leg on their
        itinerary was operated by KLM and they have to
        complain to KLM. KLM says that based on their
        agreement with Northwest, Northwest is responsible
        for the lost baggage.

        Thus, your group has contacted three suspects and all refused
        to take responsibility. Since your definitions rely
        on somebody to accept/define responsibility, it is not clear
        who is at fault here.

Double responsibility:

        Upon arrival, your tour group discovers that they
        were awarded twice the miles they should have been
        because both KLM and Northwest airlines took the
        responsibility to award miles for the trip. Each
        individual airline claims it had the right to do
        that since they can define the area of responsibility any way
        they want.

HTH,

Alex.