Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-email-arch-06.txt]

2007-03-09 02:30:13

Hector Santos writes:
- This was mentioned the last time I commented on your paper, SIEVE, although comes with a RFC, it is not the standard "mail filtering agent" everyone uses. The suggestion was to make the concept generic, like everything else in your (crowded) diagram. SIEVE is not generic. It is a UNIQUE, CRYPTIC language. I suggested MFA for Mail Filtering Agent and use SIEVE parenthetically.

What does generic mean in this context?

There seems to be at least six completely unrelated, compatible implementations of sieve from different vendors. That's more than enough to demonstrate interoperability in the eyes of the IETF and five more than any other mail filtering specification I've heard of, so it would seem reasonable to describe it as a standard mail filtering agent, or even _the_ standard mail filtering agent. IMHO.

Arnt