Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-email-arch-06.txt]

2007-03-09 10:56:36
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:13:47 +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen said:
What does generic mean in this context?

There seems to be at least six completely unrelated, compatible
implementations of sieve from different vendors. That's more than
enough to demonstrate interoperability in the eyes of the IETF and five
more than any other mail filtering specification I've heard of, so it
would seem reasonable to describe it as a standard mail filtering
agent, or even _the_ standard mail filtering agent. IMHO.

On the other hand, how often do you see example procmail recipes posted to
accomplish some given end, and how often do you see people post SIEVE scripts
to do something? What about SpamAssassin filters, and Sendmail Milters that
do filtering?

I'll posit that although there aren't as many independent vendors for
Spamassassin or procmail, that more mail actually gets filtered by them
than by SIEVE.