Re: email-arch: bounce vs... return?

2007-10-15 09:32:27

I've also have heard "bounce" used for an SMTP reject (5xx return), although that was among people who would never read a standard. I'm not real worried about that case; and I've never heard the term "bounce address" used ambiguously. Indeed, the reason I like it is because it has always had 100% recognition even among people who'd never heard the term before.

No one is commenting on the alternative I'm suggesting, which is "return address".

It directly maps to its real function and, of course, the term used for postal mail.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking