Re: email-arch: bounce vs... return?

2007-10-15 10:10:54

Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:
It certainly seems sensible; my only hesitation is simply that I haven't heard it used before, despite the wide-spread recognition of the Return-Path header field. I'm certainly in a position to use it and see people's reactions, though.

It's clear that at least some (substantial) portion of the email community is solidly entrenched in using a term that includes the word 'bounce'. For that group, we are definitely talking about changing their behavior. On the average I am against such efforts, because they almost always fail, especially after so much time using the previous term.

However a) there are other constituencies that find the term problematic -- which is what prompted my bringing the matter to this list -- and b) this thread has done a nice job of showing why continued use of the 'bounce' is problematic.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking