Re: Missing ABNF terms in 2821bis?

2007-10-17 07:13:53

Peter J. Holzer wrote:

Which reminds me: What is the reason for allowing control characters
in email addresses?

Idiocy.

I try hard to stay out of these sorts of debates, but in this case I am forced
to agree. We are way past the point where backwards compatibility is an
acceptable excuse for something like this. It should be obvious why  allowing
nonprinting control characters in addresses is a bad idea on many levels.

And if common sense isn't enough here, how about the fact that it is pretty
clear that these things have obvious and severe interoperability problems that
will make it hard to meet the criterua for draft standard?

                                Ned