Re: RFC 5321 4.4 Trace info

2008-11-08 12:33:42

Hi Hector,
At 06:22 07-11-2008, Hector Santos wrote:
In my view, the term "time stamp" should be removed. The implication is that a "time stamp" header exist and it is an alternative header to the Received. I'm not aware of a "time stamp" header. If so, what is its field name?

In Section 4.1.1.4 of RFC 5321, there is:

  "When the SMTP server accepts a message either for relaying or for
   final delivery, it inserts a trace record (also referred to
   interchangeably as a "time stamp line" or "Received" line) at the top
   of the mail data."

The "time stamp" header is not an alternative header to the Received. What the above means is that we might say "time stamp line" and we might say "Received" line but we are referring to the same thing.

The Received line provides us with the date and time the message was received. What we are doing is to "time stamp" the message each time it goes through a relay.

My suggestion:

  1) Since a Received is a required - period and it
     inherently includes a format with a time stamp, there
     is no need to mention it in this paragraph.

  2) Thus removing the "time stamp" from the parenthetical clause.

There are multiple occurrences of "time stamp" in RFC 5321. The term can be used interchangeably which is why it's part of the clause together with Received. That's why it worth a mention.

Regards,
-sm