Re: STARTTLS & EHLO

2009-01-26 14:46:04

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, John C Klensin wrote:

Right. The quoted 3207 text says to me that the server is
required discard the data sent earlier by the client as part of
EHLO.  I don't see any expectation that it be required to
discard the fact that EHLO was sent.

The quote is:
                             The server MUST discard any knowledge
   obtained from the client, such as the argument to the EHLO command,
   which was not obtained from the TLS negotiation itself.  The client
   MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the server, such as the list
   of SMTP service extensions, which was not obtained from the TLS
   negotiation itself.

The argument to EHLO is just an example and is clearly not the entirety of
what the server is supposed to discard.

Indeed, unless there is something else in 3207, the client isn't
even required to discard the response from EHLO with the
server-supported feature list,

It is required to do so.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.