Re: STARTTLS & EHLO

2009-01-27 04:49:32

Tony Hansen wrote:
By extension, if you expect to use any further SMTP extensions after
negotiating TLS, I think you MUST resend an EHLO.

Yes, I agree.
However, if you're *not* using any further extensions after STARTTLS was
sent, I don't see a requirement. So consequently, since you say you're
not using any other extensions, I don't see the case for them refusing
the message at that point without the EHLO.

Just for clarity the session goes like:

S: 220-main.remotedns.co.uk ESMTP Exim 4.63 #1 Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:25:48
+0000
S: 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
S: 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
C: EHLO vpop3.company.co.uk
S: 250-main.remotedns.co.uk Hello vpop3.company.co.uk [IP address]
S: 250-SIZE 52428800
S: 250-PIPELINING
S: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
S: 250-STARTTLS
S: 250 HELP
C: STARTTLS
S: 220 TLS go ahead
<TLS negotiation>
C: MAIL FROM:<user(_at_)company(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
S: 550 HELO required before MAIL

(It happens with a few domains, all of which seem to be using Exim (4.63
or 4.69))

It certainly looks as if it has forgotten the fact of the EHLO command
once the STARTTLS has happened.