Re: I-D SMTP Extension for Greylisting

2011-10-25 12:40:52

Frank Ellermann wrote:
On 24 October 2011 16:36, Hector wrote:

  seconds     = 2DIGIT   ; 00-59
  totalsecs   = 1*(%d48-57) ; total seconds to delay

If this suggestion for a 2nd syntax format is
acceptable, is the ABNF correct?

Ignoring the premise, you can use 1*DIGIT instead of
those decimal constructs ;-)  If you want to specify
<totalsecs> details you could suppress leading zeros
and add an upper limit -- the very odd 99-23:59:59
maximum yields 1*7DIGIT if I got this right, please
check it if you want to use it.

I am not expert with ABNF language. Can you tell me what would be is correct here?

And trim this to 1*6DIGIT if they let you, IMO 9 days
is already far outside of anything remotely related
to SMTP.

I guess we can say the odds are good, it would not be that long or beyond 4-5 days RFC5321 already recommends and if so, the MTA might consider to implement an automatic bounce idea after seeing a retry= hint that goes beyond its local policy maximum days.

So do you think we should?

  a) Keep with the proposed retry=[DD-]HH:MM:SS syntax?
  b) Provide a 2nd syntax retry=seconds? or
  c) Just go with a single, simpler retry=seconds syntax?

With retry=seconds, there would be no technical upper limit, only policy based for the MTA to determine.

--
HLS