R.I.P IPv4....Re: in memoriam

2001-10-18 06:40:02
----- Original Message -----
From: "Einar Stefferud" <stef(_at_)nma(_dot_)com>

What I think is a real shame is that ICANN might be mistakenly
considered by some people to to be a monument to Jon Postel...

In my opinion, ICANN has turned out to be exactly what Jon had intended.
You were present at the same meeting I was where he disclosed his intention
to appoint a Board of people, whom, he described as, "Not the kind of people
who would want their names on the Internet.". It is my opinion, that Jon
knew
that the IPv4 Internet was aging and needed to be handed to someone to be
carted away, and buried in a land-fill. ICANN is doing an excellent job of
that.
It will not be long and people will likely be able to say, "IPv4?...Oh, no
one
goes there any more....". At best, IPv4 will be a convienant interconnect
for
private home networks, for legacy intranets, for the embedded WAN-based
networks that can not be easily changed, and for third-world countries who
traditionally lag behind the U.S. in technology. ICANN will have a ready
audience there, but not in the U.S. where companies like New.Net have
rallied the major ISPs and added 30 new TLDs to ICANN's 2 which still
do not work.

Jim Fleming
http://www.in-addr.info
3:219 INFO