Re: Jim Fleming's posting privilleges have been revoked

2001-10-26 11:40:03
On 10/26/01 at 7:23 PM +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

So, the question for you to answer is, "Are Jim's posts within the charter of the IETF general mailing list (even viewing them in the most favorable light)?"

I don't know.

An interesting response. A large number of us, using our best judgement, determined that they are not within the charter and therefore agree with his exclusion. One of the few people (yourself) who objects to his exclusion isn't sure whether they are within the charter. Seems to me that our consensus is that he is outside of the charter.

Do you have an algorithm that you can run against the text of his messages to determine this objectively and unambiguously?

Unfortunately (or fortunately), natural language is not likely the kind of stuff you can run through an algorithm for the meanings of its contents. Human analysis is required. Lots of people have presented their analysis of the situation. So again I ask: Do you think that his posts are reasonably within the scope and charter of this mailing list? If you're unwilling to explain why they are, I see no point in continuing to discuss this.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102