Re: way out of the DNS problems? (former Re: delegation mechanism, Re: Trees have one root)

2002-08-02 15:29:52
At 5:38 PM -0400 8/2/02, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:13:09 PDT, Einar Stefferud <Steflist(_at_)thor(_dot_)nma(_dot_)com> said:

 > I, and all other users of the Internet, get to vote early and often
 > for our candidate for "." just as called for in the DNS standards.

*I* get to vote early and often. *You* get to vote early and often.  Most of
the other 50-60 frequent posters here get to vote early and often.  Most
of the 30,000 or whatever subscribers *probably* get to vote early and often.

The vast majority of the half a billion people online get their votes done via
DHCP'ed proxy by their ISP, early and often.

Anybody who's ever had to work a help desk and explain to a Windows user
which IP goes in the nameserver and which IP goes in the default gateway
knows that letting the users vote early and often is a guaranteed operational
nightmare.  That nightmare is why DHCP exists. ;)

++++++++++++++++
Hi Valdis;-)...

So, most people give proxy rights to their ISP, or to Bill Gates, or Steve Case.

But, they don't give it to ICANN, or to ORSC, since ICANN and ORSC are candidates and are neither voters nor proxies.

So, control still goes to the voters who may or may not know what they are voting for. So, what is news about that? When, in your experience, did that stop happening?

The question was:
        Who has the controlling power, whether they use knowingly or not

Lots of people who care are voting for ORSC roots, which is their right to do.
And lots of people who care vote for ICANN.

That is all that matters in terms of discovering who has control of what.
ICANN does not have control of the voters, and neither does ORSC.

If one day the Internet Voters discover that they have control, if they will just exercise their rights, they just might start voting smart, instead of dumb as you suggest.

One way to get to this "smart" result is to let ICANN run its course without hindrance. This is my favorite ploy;-)... Just stand aside and let them run their course. The finish line is a cliff, and they are most welcome, in my view, to win the race. Especially so since they have so diligently tried to rig the race;-)...
Life does have it's little ironies, after all;-)...

And, after ICANN goes over the cliff, the Internet will survive just fine, as it has all through the ICANN debacle.

Long long ago, I tried to help ICANN, per request from Esther Dyson. She asked me to assist their new ICANN Public Relations Firm (Ogalvie&???). So, I corresponded with them, but all I managed to do was warn them about stupid stuff, and help them to thus pull the wool over everyone's eyes. So, I departed the scene and have since left them to flounder on their own power, in their race for the cliff.

At this point I consider ICANN more or less irrelevant, except that I feel strong urges to be sure I do not fall victim to domain slamming or hijacking under the flakey ICANN managed registrar processes.

So, I hope all y'all enjoy the race -- especially the finish;-)...\Stef

PS: Just for fun, as a little reward for reading this far, you might want to read "Orwell's Revenge" as it tells a parallel story:

                http://www.phuber.com/huber/orwell/orwells.html