Re: way out of the DNS problems? (former Re: delegation mechanism, Re: Trees have one root)

2002-08-02 14:09:14
At 3:31 PM -0400 8/2/02, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
[snip]...[snip]... [snip]...[snip]... [snip]...[snip]... [snip]...[snip]...

It's never been "shown" to my knowledge.  Keep in mind that a large part of
the user community thinks the root is called .AOL

That's who *REALLY* controls '.'. I doubt any of them qualify as "Joe Clueless"

No Way does the world think that .AOL is the root.

Maybe they think that .AOL.COM is the only useful domain name, but even AOL was too dumb to figure out that getting .AOL would solve a lot of the problems they have trying to round up the likes of AOL.BR, and such.

There is nothing wrong with .AOL and .IBM and .MSN solving their DNS registry problems by getting TLDs for themselves, as compared with warping ICANN into a protection device for the Intellectual Properties that use their trademarks.
but, AOL is missing lots of things so none of this is even slightly odd.

Cheers...\Stef