Re: T-shirts, and some suggestions for future ietf meetings

2004-08-06 11:26:58
My response below, in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Richardson" <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca>
To: "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: T-shirts, and some suggestions for future ietf meetings

"JORDI" == JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
<jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es> writes:
    JORDI> The only complain was not being in downtown. Also something
    JORDI> about the restaurants nearby, but there are a few at walking
    JORDI> distance, and the hotel has enough meeting rooms and kitchens
    JORDI> to add as many additional restaurants as tastes we may have !

  Frankly, as long as we can have BAR BOFs in the Hotel, the location of
the food doesn't matter.

There is a BAR BOF (actually two), and we can build more if required (enough
space and kitchens).

  Vienna suffered from having meeting space and hotel seperated, and
unclear default "BAR".  Orlando had the same problem. I've never done
the San Diego hotel, but I know exactly where it is. Definitely not
downtown.

    JORDI> Now, I'm somehow (very) disappointed, because San Diego is
    JORDI> very nice, yes, but we aren't in downtown, we don't have food
    JORDI> choices, and is VERY expensive compared to Madrid. So what's
    JORDI> going on ?

  I'd like to know this as well.
  Tickets to Madrid in Feb/March are relatively cheap, I think.

I think they are very cheap all the year ;-)

  I don't want to go there in August.

Well having the meetings in the hotel, with air condition is not a problem, but
is nice July/August because:
1) You want to go out for dinner and have a nice weather
2) You can take the advantage to travel with family or whatever and have
vacations afterwards ;-)

  I'm hoping for Madrid in March 2005, Vancouver in August 2005 (yes, a
host has to be found. Could even be someone from Seattle..), and DC or
Minneapolis in November 2005.
  (seriously. Both locations work for November very well)

If we have a decision RIGHT NOW, I can still try to arrange for March 2005, but
timing is becoming VERY tight.

    JORDI> So it was a kind of excuse ?

    JORDI> By the way, the hotel has free IPv6 connectivity in every
    JORDI> room, since we installed it in May 2003 (first one in the
    JORDI> world as I know).

  Cool. Does it have IPv4? It would be cool if it is *didn't* :-)

Sorry, I can't satisfy 100% your demand here, but I can tell you that the IPv4
connectivity is NATed (and broken because a very nasty Nomadix box).

But of course we can provide public IPv4 addresses for the meeting (unless we
decide to make it only IPv6, which I will be happy to do !).

    JORDI> PS: And yes, we of course plan to provide a nice t-shirt !

  My wife isn't happy that I can go three weeks and wear only conference
T-shirts. Or that I have more cloths than her. I'm happy that they all
still fit.

The solution is to bring your wife and have vacations after the meeting ;-)

By the way, we have a very nice suggestion for the social, if you like
art/painting. What about a dinner and private visit to the Prado museum ?

- --
]     "Elmo went to the wrong fundraiser" - The Simpson         |  firewalls
[
]   Michael Richardson,    Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON    |net
architect[
] mcr(_at_)xelerance(_dot_)com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/
|device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy");
[

Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.