Re: IETF 62

2004-09-20 04:53:21
John,

John C Klensin wrote:

I have no idea about actual IETF experience, but, based on
experience with other organizations and meetings of similar
technical focus, the key issue is not whether those who go can
get work done, or even whether some people decide to go it if is
a nice place.  Rather, it is the tendency of people who have to
review and approve travel to look at a destination, pronounce
the words "probable boggle" and then say "no".    And I've seen
enough situations in which that has occurred to make that a real
concern.
It probably isn't enough of a concern to say "we absolutely
should, or should not, meet there", but it should be a
significant consideration.

good point, and a valid concern.

One of the advantages of going to a touristy place - or the hub of a major airline - is inexpensive airfare and maybe decreased travel time due to the higher likelihood of direct fligths.

But I agree, it's a tradeoff.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories