Re: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-19 07:33:57

On Nov 18, 2004, at 21:36, Michael Richardson wrote:

    Jon> And non-ISPs [the folks whom some think IPv6 can successfully
    Jon> be deployed w/out help from the ISPs] get them exactly how?

  a) from their ISP. IPv6 contains no provider-independant addressing
     at this point.

Well, clearly, this policy needs some significant work. Please read what I wrote --- we're *assuming* the ISP doesn't support IPv6 and will "catch up" later when it's clear that they ought to.

  b) by using 6to4, they get their own /48.

  If your ISP doesn't have IPv6, then they won't have addresses, so
you'll need a tunnel solution anyway. 6to4 is very good for this.

Well this sounds a bit more promising. At home, behind Comcast, there's nary an IPv6 address to be found [beyond the link-local ones I get automatically].

  One successful method that I've used is to get a tunnel from he.net,
set up the BGP listening, and use that tunnel for all 2001: addresses.
Run your own 6to4 converter at the edge.
(Better to get a geographically significant tunnel, which I do elsewhere)

  These tunnels don't *require* BGP, do they?
--jon