Re: How the IPnG effort was started

2004-11-19 10:30:44

On 19 Nov 2004, at 09:25, Jon Allen Boone wrote:

On Nov 18, 2004, at 21:36, Michael Richardson wrote:

    Jon> And non-ISPs [the folks whom some think IPv6 can successfully
    Jon> be deployed w/out help from the ISPs] get them exactly how?

  a) from their ISP. IPv6 contains no provider-independant addressing
     at this point.

Well, clearly, this policy needs some significant work. Please read what I wrote --- we're *assuming* the ISP doesn't support IPv6 and will "catch up" later when it's clear that they ought to.

You seem to be assuming that the only ISP you can use is the one that provides you with v4 transit. People have been using other ISPs to gain v6 transit for almost as long as v6 has existed.

  b) by using 6to4, they get their own /48.

  If your ISP doesn't have IPv6, then they won't have addresses, so
you'll need a tunnel solution anyway. 6to4 is very good for this.

Well this sounds a bit more promising. At home, behind Comcast, there's nary an IPv6 address to be found [beyond the link-local ones I get automatically].

Small data point that may be interesting to some people: getting IPv6 access on a modern Macintosh computer using 6to4 is as simple as selecting "Network Port Configurations" in the network preferences pane, and ticking "6to4". That's it -- instant dancing kame.

There seems to be a prevailing view that 6to4 is something that can only be set up by unix geeks or network engineers. For Macintosh users, at least, it's simple enough that I could easily talk my mother through setting it up.

Joe