Re: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

2005-04-01 18:53:56
"Bill" == Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> writes:

    Bill> has what claims to be a summary.  There appears to be a
    Bill> personal use exemption of some sort but there's no mention
    Bill> of re-export of the laptop you imported when you entered the
    Bill> country..

Same deal with the US.  Take a look at 15 CFR 740.14.  While aliens
can bring crypto into the US, the exemption that would allow US
citizens to re-export their laptop does not apply to aliens.  It has
been a while since I read 15 CFR 740, although I have read it since
the 2002 changes.  As I recall, while the baggage exemption (740.14)
doesn't allow aliens to re-export their crypto, the US government is
not completely without understanding of the needs of visitors.  I seem
to recall that aliens are allowed to re-export their personal
allowance of shotguns and shotgun shells which they imported.  This
export is controlled by the same provision that would allow US
citizens to export crypto for personal use.

For many programs, it seems like 15 CFR 740.15 (e) or 15 CFR 740.17
will allow re-export.  I'm not a lawyer; I just had to argue too much
about this stuff with lawyers.