Re: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

2005-04-04 01:17:12
On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 05:06:20AM +0200,
 Anthony G. Atkielski <anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 58 lines which said:

The legislation on cryptography in France is vast and complicated;

Yes and the last update was in last july so you have to apply a lot of
diffs to know the current situation (think of DNS-related RFCs...).

believe it still holds the record for severity of restrictions in
the developed world.

Yes.

However, the laws have been greatly liberalized in recent years,

Yes.

and those laws that remain seem to be quite loosely enforced.

It seems they have never been enforced at all. I remember talking in
the Parliament at a crypto hearing, wearing the famous RSA-in-3-lines
T-shirt and claiming "I use crypto illegally" and of course nothing
happened to me.

In practice, I don't know if any of this is enforced for individuals
travelling on business or for other reasons, since almost everyone
with any kind of PC today has some sort of encryption software on
the PC.

Practically speaking, I agree we whould ignore the problem.