Re: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

2005-04-02 15:52:34
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

To my opinion, one threat to the international nature of the IETF are
the continuous increasing difficulties entering the US. This morning I
read in the local papers that starting the 25th of october the
Visa-Waiver program will grind to a halt for (most) Europeans.

And as an American, I'd just like to say that this is an embarrassment to
me.  Free trade, but not free travel. How can you have one without the
other?

In the NYTimes this week was an article about a Uruguayan Flight
Instructor who worked at the Oklahoma Flight School attended by Moussaui
(sp?) the so-called 20th hijacker.  He was very cooperatative with the
FBI, and wound up on a no-fly list, apparently as a result of his
cooperation--The FBI found him helpful, so they wanted to keep track of
him.  So now he isn't allowed to learn to fly light business jets, the
logical next step in the career of a professional pilot.  Sigh. I have to
find a hole to crawl into, to hide my shame.

                --Dean

617 344 9000