Re: Voting (again)

2005-04-14 16:49:36
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I don't think that direct elections would increase corporate
influence in the way you imagine, quite the reverse in fact.

One NOMCOM member reported 2 * USD 500 + flight here.  That IS
de facto a "corporate only" policy, plus a few enthusiasts
willing to pay these costs privately.

What if your problem is what has not been done for ten years
and shows no more sign of being done today than ten years
ago?

That's tough but not the kind of problem where something in
the IETF could help me.  You're confusing IETF + industry,
standards + patents, protocols + products.  Anything which
is proprietary is irrelevant for a standard.  If you have a
product and/or patent it's fine, just go and try to sell it.

People were asked if they planned to deploy a spec, they
answered.

Probably the same people who would "vote" for a WG chair in
your model.  Then I really prefer the "benevolent dictator"
model, where the WG chair could dismiss these zombies.

Given that there were no real technical issues being
discussed in the group at any point in its life

That's not the case, there were on topic technical threads:

One caused major improvements of the ABNF.  Another stated the
incompatibilty of the discussed scheme with other identities
(after numerous attempts to achieve equivalence were ignored).

And finally the incompatible identities resulted in different
scopes.  Major improvements of worst case scenarios were also
inspired by on topic articles (but solved elsewhere after the
WG was closed against the rules).

The XML-over-DNS part was a waste of time, but you can't say
that it was non-technical.

There were also a lot of people who only appeared on the
other side when the patent license issue was raised.

Now that was really off topic, IIRC I've never commented it on
this list.  In fact it wasn't better than the one-time zombies.

If a standards body is going to allow non-royalty free specs
(as the IETF does)

Maybe that should be fixed, not the voting.  Or maybe they
should rename IETF to ILTF, the legal task force.  I'd then
know that I'm at the wrong place, because IANAL.  Bye, Frank